- Mix all the marinade ingredients in a large bowl, then add the beef, turning it until well coated. Cover the bowl with cling film and chill for 12-24 hours, or overnight, turning occasionally.
- 02.Once the beef has marinated, heat the oven to 130°C/110°C fan/gas ½. Lay the beef strips on a large baking tray lined with baking paper, then bake for 3 hours, turning a couple of times. Don’t worry if they look wizened and dry – they’re supposed to! Set aside to cool.
Vietnamese Spicy Beef and Mango Salad
When you're looking for something light but filling this Vietnamese Spicy Beef and Mango Salad is the recipe you need. It's got tons of Vietnamese flavors in the spicy beef marinade and salad dressing. Plus, a lot of fresh, crunchy vegetables and of course mango which helps balance out the spice from the beef. Your taste buds will be singing with each bite.
- Prep Time15 min
- Cook Time10 min
- Total Time25 min
- Yield24 Cookies
- 5 tbsp soy sauce
- 5 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tbsp chilli flakes
- 1 tbsp hot/mild chilli powder
- ½ tbsp Chinese five-spice powder
- 4 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 3 tbsp brown sugar or palm sugar
- 3 tbsp fish sauce
- 3 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
- Juice 1 lime
- ½-1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 ripe mangoes, sliced into strips
- 500g carrots, very finely sliced or julienned
- ½ red onion, very finely sliced
- 2 large handfuls salted peanuts, finely chopped (use a food processor)
- 50g fresh mint, leaves picked
- 50g coriander, leaves picked
- 30g Thai basil (or extra mint or coriander if unavailable), leaves picked
- Handful crispy fried onions to garnish (available from large supermarkets)
Preparing the Beef
Preparing the Dressing
- For the dressing, put the fish sauce, rice vinegar, sugar and 3 tbsp water into a small saucepan and heat gently until steaming and the sugar has dissolved. When this happens, remove from the heat and stir through the lime juice, chilli and garlic, then leave to cool.
- Once the beef is cool enough to handle, shred it with your hands, then toss in a bowl with the mangoes, carrots, red onion, half the peanuts and most of the herbs.
- Pour over half the dressing and toss together.
- Tip onto a platter, scatter with the remaining herbs and peanuts and the crispy onions, then drizzle over the remaining dressing. Serve immediately.
Original recipe – here.